Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Updates

Let's see...
Isabel is nearly 2.5 years old. Leo had just turned 5. 

We are starting to look at schools for Leo. Which we must do quickly, as lottery deadlines are approaching. We are considering Ridgeview Classical Schools, TR Paul, Liberty Common, and Olander, the latter being our neighborhood school.

There is a lot to think about, and I'm not sure I even know what questions to ask at this point. RCS is the only one of them that is a K-12 school. I like that my kids would be with the same administration, peer group, and culture for their entire school career.

Olander is a good school. We attended the presentation on Kindergarten a few weeks ago and were impressed. We think it would be a good fit for Leo and for our family, and it is not far away. If they had a K-12 program, I may not be looking elsewhere. 

What I am concerned about is what comes after Olander. Blevins Jr. High and then Rocky Mountain High School. They are in the Poudre School District, and that alone is a good recommendation as we have some of the best schools in the state. But how do they compare with Ridgeview? 

I want what we all want for our children: healthy, productive, happy lives. I want them to make good choices: morally, financially, economically, socially, and with respect to education and career goals. I want them to have enough perspective, experience, skills, and education to have as broad a view as possible of their choices. Some parents would say they want their kids to go to college. I do not. Rather, I want my kids to be able to go to college, should they so choose.  I want them to have the perspective on life and skills to be able to judge for themselves the best course. Trade or vocational school? University? Medical school? Military or military academy? Some vagary I cannot currently imagine?

My friend, J, philosophizes that her daughter may choose to be a lawyer or a florist, but with no way of knowing, she must be given the best education and so she may choose for herself from there. I tend to agree, but now we are faced with determining which school will offer that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home