Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Window Garden

Just getting started on the window garden. I used three beds, made from Sterilite storage boxes. After racking our brains trying to figure out how to do a tray, G finally had an epiphane: buy three more boxes and stack them, and that makes both a tray and a self-watering reservoir.
So I drilled drainage holes in the bottoms of the dirt boxes, and a watering tube hole as well. Then I threaded 100% cotton butcher's twine through the holes to act as wicks. A clear plastic tube in the watering hole and a bit of wire to secure it, then we were ready for the dirt.

I used a mix of FoxFarm Frog dirt with tons of microbes, perlite, and FoxFarm starter fertilizer.
I planted a lettuce mix, spinach, and dwarf pac choi in the first box. Basil, dill, and green onions in the second. And a small bush tomato and bush beans in the third. I don't know if the tomato and beans will be able to do anything useful, it's an experiment!

Next we need to hang the light. I got a sodium & halide combo light. It needs a real shield, though, so water from the sink doesn't spatter and make it shatter from thermal stress. We're not willing to pay the $150+ it will cost to get a real shield, so G is going to see about buying a sheet of tempered glass to hang under it instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home