Monday, April 23, 2007

Pox

We flouted convention and yesterday attended an antiquated sort of social gathering: a chicken pox party.

When I called the doctor's office last week to ask about the safety of exposing my not-yet-seven-month-old baby, I requested a callback from a RN or MD, rather than the doctor's "nurse", who is a medical assistant with no formal training. I got a call from the medical assistant, who knowledgeably informed me that I should not expose either of my children to chicken pox as they had not had the vaccination, and were therefore likely to contract chicken pox. Yeah. Thanks for the info. Can I talk to a doctor, please?

She was rather confused, I wanted to expose my children to chicken pox? She'd have to talk to a doctor and get back to me. Yeah, you do that.

She called back sometime later to tell me that the doctor really recommends we get the vaccine, as chicken pox can lead to life-threatening complications. I asked if it is any more dangerous for an infant than for a preschooler. She said the doctor said it was not, but still advised against any exposure without the vaccine. I thanked her and hung up.

So we went to the pox party on Sunday. K rather thoughtfully brought margarita mix for the grown-ups and lollipops for the kiddos. To swap. The healthy children were encouraged to share their suckers with the vector children. Yuck. Lots of snotty kisses and hugs, exchanged foods, etc.

We had a good time, enjoyed hanging out with all the families (five families came, not including the host family), then went home and had meat and potatoes with K and family.

Hopefully, a successful day. We'll find out in 10 to 21 days.

Does anybody think it's odd to recommend a vaccine for a disease that is rarely serious in young children, but these same doctors will perform circumcisions on healthy newborns for no other reason than cosmetic preference? They expose children to serious complications from the procedure, and a 100% chance of reduced sexual sensitivity as adults, but then they turn right around and say that it's too dangerous for a child to be exposed to chicken pox.

If we're really trying to minimize all risk to children....STOP PERFORMING NEONATAL CIRCUMCISION.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home